Recipe: Going Austrian
I’ve been reading so many recipes over the last few months & adding them to my long list of things to try out, that I completely ignored my Austrian roots and the wonderful cooking that is done in this country. With all the crispy duck, naan bread and thai salad recipes I’ve been hoarding came the realisation that I might just have to fit in something a little bit more traditional. This might also have been triggered by the food I got to enjoy on my recent trips to visit my grandparents where my grandma cooked up a storm! And of course my mom was also taught well and I’m well known for stopping over for lunch/dinner/…😉
So let’s start my project “Going Austrian” (in terms of cooking at least😉 ) with something sweet. “Kaiserschmarrn” is served as a main but also as a dessert. It is a classic, served almost everywhere from traditional restaurant to ski huts. It is delicious but also very simple to prepare.
I’ve cooked this many times and still love it… =)
(loosely translated: emperor’s rubbish, in reality: sugared, cut-up pancakes, often with raisins)
30 g powder sugar
240 g flour (you could even use wholemeal flour)
8 eggs (separated)
1/2 l milk
40 g white sugar
80 g raisins (can be omitted, of course, or substituted/supplemented with other fruits – apples are a favourite)
• Mix flour with salt, milk and egg yolks.
• Whisk the egg whites with the sugar until stiff and fold under the flour mix.
• Pour mixture into a hot, greased pan (I use butter to grease) – so the pancake is about 1 cm high.
• Let bake for a bit, scatter over raisins.
• Flip onto other side. Finish baking until browned on both sides (slightly more than golden, I would say).
• Rip apart the pancake with the help of two forks (pieces can be of any size, usually the biggest ones are about 3 or 4 cm squared).
• Let rest for a little bit, dust with powder sugar and serve.
Serve with: fruit compote, apple puree, stewed plums…
P.S.: I know, no recipe is complete without a picture, but I usually just don’t photograph my food, so you’ll have to wait a few days until I cook it again…😛