Archive for March, 2010

Pattern Challenge: Cabo Halter Modeled

Me, modeling my new Cabo halter. =)

The hook & eye on top of the zipper is still missing but will be added eventually… 😉

March 18, 2010 at 18:54 pm 3 comments

Pattern Challenge: Cabo Halter

Over the weekend I finally had the chance to finish the first of my Pattern Challenge projects. I chose the Cabo Halter pattern from Amy Butler to get the challenge started.

This choice was not an arbitrary one, as this pattern had been bugging me for quite some time. A little time line:
After I bought the pattern I pretty soon started creating the first version of the halter top . Luckily, I chose to make a muslin before using any of my “good” fabric. I finished it up to the point when the zipper should be put in.

And then I tried it on.

Well, let’s just say, the upper part wasn’t very “covering” and definitely too small for me. The rest of the top fit just fine (I had chosen the Medium size).

So, not having any idea about what to do, I set it aside. And took it out again when this pattern challenge first came to my attention. At this point I had already read a few things about FBA (Full Bust Adjustment), so I kind of new what to do. At least I thought so… 😉

I searched for resources on the Internet and found quite a lot of suggestions about how to handle such an adjustment.

My favourites:

• Sew, Mama, Sew! article

• “Y”-Bust Dart Alteration

• Several Alteration Techniques

After I now was kind of informed, I just got to work and did my own alteration. I kind of used a “Y”-Bust Dart Alteration, creating a fuller bodice. During the sewing process I (= noob) realised I of course had to alter the other pattern pieces accordingly. I did a bit of tweaking there, so everything fit together nicely.

[My pattern alteration in process.]

The pattern itself is very easy to follow – the instructions are very clear, even for someone like me, who doesn’t really sew clothes. I did a lot of pressing (thanks here to my grandma who gave me a steam iron station as a present – love it!) and the light cotton fabric I chose was quite nice to sew. It’s a very cheap cotton, bought as a bargain in a pack of several fabrics. Originally it was white, but as never quite know what to do with white fabric I dyed it to a light blue.

Back to the pattern: even the zipper was easy to install! And I had been so afraid of that step!

So, here is  my result:
[I just noticed I could have pressed it before photographing it. Sorry about that. ;-)]

You’ll notice two additions.

Firstly, I added a “modesty panel” to the front of the halter, as although the bodice was more forgiving due to my alterations, it still gaped wide open. I just used a bit of leftover fabric folded in half for this, having topstitched it first.

I attached the panel by also sewing it to the lower part of the halter top and by topstitching all around the upper part of the top (from the center over the straps down to the back).

Secondly, I used some of the trim I bought recently at the thrift store, to add some interest to the single-coloured top.

Hope you like it!

P.S.: I’ll model the top soon, so you’ll have a photo of it on a “real-life” model too.

P.P.S.: Just a note: beware when using disappearing fabric marker. Or more specific: don’t mistake your permanent marker for your fabric marker. Yes, I did that. And yes, I had to cut a whole lot of new pieces out of my fabric.

March 16, 2010 at 23:07 pm 7 comments

Recipe: Going Austrian

I’ve been reading so many recipes over the last few months & adding them to my long list of things to try out, that I completely ignored my Austrian roots and the wonderful cooking that is done in this country. With all the crispy duck, naan bread and thai salad recipes I’ve been hoarding came the realisation that I might just have to fit in something a little bit more traditional. This might also have been triggered by the food I got to enjoy on my recent trips to visit my grandparents where my grandma cooked up a storm! And of course my mom was also taught well and I’m well known for stopping over for lunch/dinner/… 😉

So let’s start my project “Going Austrian” (in terms of cooking at least 😉 ) with something sweet. “Kaiserschmarrn” is served as a main but also as a dessert. It is a classic, served almost everywhere from traditional restaurant to ski huts. It is delicious but also very simple to prepare.

I’ve cooked this many times and still love it… =)


(loosely translated: emperor’s rubbish, in reality: sugared, cut-up pancakes, often with raisins)

Serves 4


30 g powder sugar

240 g flour (you could even use wholemeal flour)

8 eggs (separated)

1/2 l milk

40 g white sugar

80 g raisins (can be omitted, of course, or substituted/supplemented with other fruits – apples are a favourite)



• Mix flour with salt, milk and egg yolks.

• Whisk the egg whites with the sugar until stiff and fold under the flour mix.

• Pour mixture into a hot, greased pan (I use butter to grease) – so the pancake is about 1 cm high.

• Let bake for a bit, scatter over raisins.

• Flip onto other side. Finish baking until browned on both sides (slightly more than golden, I would say).

• Rip apart the pancake with the help of two forks (pieces can be of any size, usually the biggest ones are about 3 or 4 cm squared).

• Let rest for a little bit, dust with powder sugar and serve.

Serve with: fruit compote, apple puree, stewed plums…

P.S.: I know, no recipe is complete without a picture, but I usually just don’t photograph my food, so you’ll have to wait a few days until I cook it again… 😛

March 15, 2010 at 19:24 pm Leave a comment


Recent Posts

Pattern Challenge

Pattern Challenge