Pattern Challenge: Cabo Halter

March 16, 2010 at 23:07 pm 7 comments

Over the weekend I finally had the chance to finish the first of my Pattern Challenge projects. I chose the Cabo Halter pattern from Amy Butler to get the challenge started.

This choice was not an arbitrary one, as this pattern had been bugging me for quite some time. A little time line:
After I bought the pattern I pretty soon started creating the first version of the halter top . Luckily, I chose to make a muslin before using any of my “good” fabric. I finished it up to the point when the zipper should be put in.

And then I tried it on.

Well, let’s just say, the upper part wasn’t very “covering” and definitely too small for me. The rest of the top fit just fine (I had chosen the Medium size).

So, not having any idea about what to do, I set it aside. And took it out again when this pattern challenge first came to my attention. At this point I had already read a few things about FBA (Full Bust Adjustment), so I kind of new what to do. At least I thought so… ;)

I searched for resources on the Internet and found quite a lot of suggestions about how to handle such an adjustment.

My favourites:

Sew, Mama, Sew! article

“Y”-Bust Dart Alteration

Several Alteration Techniques

After I now was kind of informed, I just got to work and did my own alteration. I kind of used a “Y”-Bust Dart Alteration, creating a fuller bodice. During the sewing process I (= noob) realised I of course had to alter the other pattern pieces accordingly. I did a bit of tweaking there, so everything fit together nicely.

[My pattern alteration in process.]

The pattern itself is very easy to follow – the instructions are very clear, even for someone like me, who doesn’t really sew clothes. I did a lot of pressing (thanks here to my grandma who gave me a steam iron station as a present – love it!) and the light cotton fabric I chose was quite nice to sew. It’s a very cheap cotton, bought as a bargain in a pack of several fabrics. Originally it was white, but as never quite know what to do with white fabric I dyed it to a light blue.

Back to the pattern: even the zipper was easy to install! And I had been so afraid of that step!

So, here is  my result:
[I just noticed I could have pressed it before photographing it. Sorry about that. ;-)]

You’ll notice two additions.

Firstly, I added a “modesty panel” to the front of the halter, as although the bodice was more forgiving due to my alterations, it still gaped wide open. I just used a bit of leftover fabric folded in half for this, having topstitched it first.

I attached the panel by also sewing it to the lower part of the halter top and by topstitching all around the upper part of the top (from the center over the straps down to the back).

Secondly, I used some of the trim I bought recently at the thrift store, to add some interest to the single-coloured top.

Hope you like it!

P.S.: I’ll model the top soon, so you’ll have a photo of it on a “real-life” model too.

P.P.S.: Just a note: beware when using disappearing fabric marker. Or more specific: don’t mistake your permanent marker for your fabric marker. Yes, I did that. And yes, I had to cut a whole lot of new pieces out of my fabric.

About these ads

Entry filed under: Pattern Challenge, Projects. Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , .

Recipe: Going Austrian Pattern Challenge: Cabo Halter Modeled

7 Comments Add your own

  • 1. Sarah  |  March 16, 2010 at 23:35 pm

    Oh my gosh, this looks great! I am so impressed that you died the fabric, I really want to try that! You did such a great job and what a genious idea to alter the pattern for a fuller bust…I need to do that to most of my patterns too! You did great….

    Reply
    • 2. summernightsmiles  |  March 20, 2010 at 20:09 pm

      Thanks for your encouraging comment! The full bust adjustment was totally scary but absolutely necessary =) So I’m really happy that the shirt came out the way I wanted it to…

      Reply
  • 3. Sarah  |  March 16, 2010 at 23:36 pm

    Wow, spell check is good. You dyed the fabric rather than killed it :).

    Reply
  • 4. Ariane Phillips  |  March 17, 2010 at 6:02 am

    Love the trim! Actually – the whole top is really pretty! Great job!

    Reply
    • 5. summernightsmiles  |  March 20, 2010 at 20:06 pm

      Thank you so much! I have to admit I’m quite pleased with myself :P

      Reply
  • 6. Ruth  |  March 19, 2010 at 20:12 pm

    I love the shirt! The trim was a great idea and the blue is beautiful. What did you use to dye it?

    Reply
    • 7. summernightsmiles  |  March 20, 2010 at 20:04 pm

      Glad you like it! =) I have to admit I didn’t use anything fancy to dye my fabric – I bought textile dye from my local drug store. It was actually supposed to be a much darker teal colour, but my flatmate added so many of her t-shirts to my dye-wash that this light blue colour was the final result…

      Reply

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Trackback this post  |  Subscribe to the comments via RSS Feed


Feeds

Recent Posts

Pattern Challenge

Pattern Challenge


Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

%d bloggers like this: